Vegetable Barley Soup
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion
- 1 cup pearl barley
- 14 1/2 ounce canned diced tomatoes (with juice)
- 1 large potato (cubed or sweet potato)
- 1 carrot (chopped)
- 2 ribs celery (chopped)
- 1 cup frozen corn (defrosted)
- 1 green bell pepper (chopped)
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 8 cups beef broth (or vegetable broth)
- Combine all ingredients in a 6qt slow cooker except tomatoes.
- Cook on low 7-8 hour or on high 3-4 hours until barley is tender.
- Add tomatoes with juices 30 minutes before serving.
- Discard bay leaf, season with salt & pepper to taste, garnish with parmesan cheese and parsley if desired.