Ground Beef Curry
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3 cloves garlic (finely chopped)
- 1 small onion (finely chopped)
- 2 stalks celery (finely chopped)
- 1/2 green bell pepper (finely chopped)
- 1 thumb size ginger (peeled and grated)
- 1 small tomato (roughly chopped)
- 1/2 pound lean ground beef
- 1 cup chickpeas (drained)
- 1/4 cup ketchup
- 3 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1/3 cup water
- salt and pepper
- fresh cilantro (roughly chopped (optional))
- In a large pot (or deep fry pan) over high heat, add oil, garlic, onions, bell pepper and celery.
- Cook for 5 minutes, until vegetable have soften.
- Add tomato and ginger and cook for 1 minute.
- Add water, stock and ground beef. Break up the ground beef as it is cooking and stir constantly until the meat has cooked through (about 3 minutes).
- Add chickpeas and stir well.
- Add ketchup and curry powder and stir well.
- Cover and cook on low (simmer) for 20 minutes, until vegetables are soft.
- Season with salt and pepper and serve with rice.