- 1 small eggplant (diced)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cloves garlic (minced)
- 1 onion (chopped)
- 1 large zucchini (chopped)
- 1 bell pepper (green, yellow or orange, chopped)
- 2 cups tomatoes (finely diced)
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme leaves
- 2 teaspoons dried parsley
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or more to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- fresh basil and parsley for serving
- Toss eggplant with salt and let drain in a strainer 15 minutes. Rinse and pat dry.
- Cook onion and garlic in olive oil over medium heat, 2-3 minutes. Add eggplant and cook until tender, about 6-8 minutes.
- Stir in remaining ingredients and bring to a simmer.
- Cook uncovered 20-30 minutes stirring occasionally until vegetable reaches desired doneness. (Shorter for tender crisp veggies, longer for softer veggies and stewed tomatoes).
- Taste and season with salt and pepper to test. Sprinkle with fresh basil and serve hot or warm.