Easy Lentil Shepherd's Pie
- 1 cup brown lentils (or green lentils)
- 3-4 cups vegetable broth (or beef broth if not making vegetarian)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup onion (chopped)
- 1 cup chopped mushrooms (about 4 oz)
- 1 carrot (chopped)
- 1 rib celery (chopped)
- 1/2 cup frozen peas (defrosted)
- 1/2 tablespoon flour
- 3 tablespoons red wine
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce ((use vegetarian Worcestershire sauce if desired))
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons parsley (chopped)
- salt & pepper to taste
- 2 1/2 cups prepared mashed potatoes
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
- Combine lentils and 3 cups broth in a saucepan and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cover. Cook 20-25 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Meanwhile, cook onion, mushrooms, carrot, and celery in olive oil over medium heat until onion and carrot are softened. Stir in flour and cook 1 minute more.
- Add lentils (and their broth), red wine, Worcestershire sauce, and tomato paste. Stir in peas and simmer uncovered 10 minutes adding more broth as needed to create a sauce. Stir in parsley and season with salt & pepper to taste.
- Spoon lentil mixture into a deep-dish pie plate. Top with mashed potatoes and bake 20-25 minutes or until potatoes are browned.