- 3 1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 6 slices bacon
- 3 pounds lean stewing beef (cut into 2-inch cubes)
- Salt and pepper
- 2 carrots (sliced)
- 10-12 small pearl onions OR 1 small white onion (diced)
- 8 ounce mushrooms (sliced)
- 2 cups red wine (young and full-bodied (like Beaujolais, Cotes du Rhone or Burgundy))
- 2 cups beef stock
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup flour
- 2 cloves mashed garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme
- bay leaf
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In a large dutch oven over medium high heat pot add the olive oil and bacon pieces. Cook until crisp. Remove the bacon with a slotted spoon.
- Salt and pepper the beef and add it to the pot and sear on each side for 2-3 minutes. Remove from the dutch oven.
- Add the carrots, pearl onions, and mushrooms and saute 2-3 minutes until tender. Remove and set aside.
- Add the red wine to the skillet scraping down the sides and allow to deglaze. Add the beef stock, tomato paste, tomato sauce, and whisk in the flour.
- Add the beef and the vegetables and bacon back to the pot and stir. Add garlic, thyme and bay leaf. Put a lid on pot and let it simmer in the oven for 1 1/2-2 hours until the beef is tender.
- Stovetop: Bring to a boil and reduce heat to a low and simmer. Cover and let cook 1 1/2- 2 hours or until beef is tender.